1 cup plain flour (all-purpose flour)
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup desiccated coconut , unsweetened
3/4 cup white sugar , preferably caster / superfine
150g / 5oz unsalted butter
4 tbsp golden syrup (Note 1)
1 tsp baking soda (bicarbonate soda)
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F (160°C fan forced)
- Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Mix flour, oats, coconut and sugar in a bowl.
- Place butter and golden syrup in a saucepan over medium-high heat and stir until butter has melted.
- Add baking soda and stir to combine – it will fizz up, this is normal. Immediately remove from heat.
- Pour butter mixture into flour and mix until just combined.
- Roll level 1 tablespoon mixture into balls, flatten into patties. Place balls, 2.5 cm/1″ apart, on prepared trays.
- Bake for 15 minutes, swapping trays halfway during cooking, or until deep golden. (Bake 12 min for chewy biscuits!)
- Stand on trays for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool – they harden as they cool!
1. Golden syrup – amber coloured sweet syrup primarily used for baking purposes in Australia and in the UK. Has a caramel-like flavour. Best substitutes:
- 1 tbsp light molasses + 3 tbsp honey or light corn syrup
- 1 tbsp treacle + 3 tbsp honey or light corn syrup
2. Oats & batter consistency – Different brands of oats can have different levels of absorbency. Your dough should be firm enough so that you can roll it into balls without it sticking to your hands, but pliable and wet enough so that you can flatten the balls without the dough crumbling. If your dough is too sticky, add more flour, if it is too dry, add more melted butter. Don’t worry about playing around with this recipe – it’s a pretty forgiving biscuit dough!
3. Storage – Anzac cookies stay crisp for about a week in an airtight container. After that, they soften a bit but are still good! If the biscuits go soft, they can be crisped up in the oven – 5 minutes at 180C / 350F.
4. Nutrition per biscuit.
Serving: 19gCalories: 74cal (4%)Carbohydrates: 14.3g (5%)Protein: 1.1g (2%)Fat: 1.6g (2%)Saturated Fat: 1.2g (8%)Sodium: 56mg (2%)Potassium: 30mg (1%)Fiber: 0.8g (3%)Sugar: 6.9g (8%)Iron: 0.5mg (3%)